Our choice for Best Fishing Backpack of 2019
Whether freshwater or saltwater fishing, our number one pick allows you to carry 2 rods and TENS OF POUNDS of tackle with extreme comfort. The Spiderwire Fishing Tackle Backpack is above all the rest and nothing comes even close. You no longer have to struggle carrying a tackle box and a rod. Carry it all on your back while your hands are free. Best of all, under $100.
1 – Spiderwire Fishing Tackle Backpack With Utility Boxes
“Everything you need in one place!”
The Spiderwire Fishing Tackle Backpack with 3 Medium Utility Boxes is perfect for anglers of any kind. It is extremely convenient, comfortable and offers great storage. The backpack has an organizer compartment, side zippered pockets, a fishing tool holder, sunglass case and flat bottom so the pack can sit upright. Adjustable main compartment divided into 3 separate inner compartments. Top compartment to store personal items, Middle cooler compartment to keep drink, food and baits cold and a Lower compartment that holds utility boxes. Fishing rod carry system.
- 100% polyester
- Dimensions: 19.7″ x 13.1″ x 7.3″
- Includes 3 Medium Utility Boxes
- Fishing Rod Holder / Carry System
- Advanced Organizer Compartment Keeps Your Gear Sorted
- Foam Molded Sunglass Case with Soft Lining
2 – Fishpond Oxbow Chest / Backpack
“Versatile pack worth every penny!”
The Fishpond Oxbow Chest/Backpack system is a high-capacity, modular fly fishing pack with plenty of space. Crafted from Fishpond’s Cyclepond environmentally responsible fabric made of recycled commercial fishing nets and fitted with YKK Aquaguard water-resistant exterior zippers. The Oxbow Backpack has a large main compartment with 2 roomy pockets, 2 zip-out rod tubes, accessory D-rings, and dock space for a hydration bladder or additional add-ons. Its structured air mesh back panel and padded, contoured shoulder straps provide superior comfort and load balance. 17″ x 9″ x 6.5″. Capacity: 549 cubic inches.
- High-capacity modular design
- Includes spacious backpack plus dockable chest pack
- Both packs made of recycled fabric
- Backpack: large main compartment, 2 pockets, 2 rod tubes, D-rings
- Dock space for hydration bladder or other add-ons
- Structured air mesh back panel
- Padded, contoured shoulder straps
- Chest pack: sized to hold a large fly box
3 – Wild River by CLC WT3503 Tackle Backpack
“Perfect for anglers who fish often!”
The Wild River Nomad is a single solution soft backpack tackle bag. It also features a large upper storage area with a removable divider, which can convert this backpack for holding larger items. The Nomad has the capacity to hold up to two medium number 3600 and four small number 3500 trays. It features a removable plier holder that easily goes from bag to belt. It includes a protective rain cover to keep backpack bag and tackle safe. It has web loops for easy access to most used fishing tools. The integrated LED light system allows for fishing from dusk until dawn. The padded shoulder straps and padded carrying handle will keep fisherman comfortable when hiking into the backwoods fishing holes.
- Fish at night: Integrated LED light system allows for fishing from dusk to dawn
- Weatherproof: Protective rain cover can be quickly deployed to keep your bag contents safe.
- Keep it organized: Mesh pockets for easy content viewing and clear internal pocket to keep your maps, licenses, and phone visible but dry.
- Storage: Storage of up to (4) 3500 style or (2) 3600 style trays to accommodate all of your storage needs.
- Easily access tools: Removable pliers holder goes from bag to belt so your pliers are easy to find and removable self retracting steel cable lanyard for clippers or small tools.
- Comfortable: Large adjustable padded shoulder straps.
4 – Wild River by CLC WT3604 Tackle Tek Nomad Backpack
- Fish at any hour: Integrated LED light system allows for fishing from dusk to dawn
- Weatherproof: Protective rain cover can be quickly deployed to keep your bag contents safe.
- Organized: Mesh pockets for easy content viewing and clear internal pocket to keep your maps, licenses, and phone visible but dry.
- Tray storage: Storage of up to (4) 3500 style or (2) 3600 style trays to accommodate all of your storage needs.
- Quick tool access: Removable pliers holder goes from bag to belt so your pliers are easy to find and removable self retracting steel cable lanyard for clippers or small tools.
5 – SHIMANO Medium Black Moon Tackle Backpack
“So good I am using it at my charter business!”
Easily transport fishing gear to your favorite lake or river with a Black Moon Fishing Backpack. These backpacks are made of durable textured fabric and have padded shoulder straps for comfort. Access to contents is made easy by two-way zippered front openings. Compact model includes mesh rod holders on sides and zippered side pockets for storage. Compact model also comes with two Plano 3750 utility boxes. Medium model boasts front loading tackle box storage with adjustable dividers and includes four Plano 3650 utility boxes. Medium model also sports leader winder side pockets, elastic loops on sides for pliers and other tools, pockets for other gear storage and a zip-out cover to protect contents from sudden light rain.
6 – Wild River WT3606 Multi-Tackle Large Backpack
“Plenty of room and is extremely rugged.”
Built by Wild River, the Multi-Tackle large backpack features the innovation and quick access that’s essential to all fishermen. The clear, zippered pocket on underside of lid keeps maps, licenses, and electronics secure and close at hand. A lower tray compartment for storage of up to six number 3600 style trays organizes your lures and supplies. The upper storage area with removable divider, converts backpack for storage of larger items. The large adjustable padded shoulder straps keep you comfortable for that long hike to the river.
- Confortable: Large adjustable padded shoulder straps with added sternum strap for better comfort and fit
- Built in work surface: Front pocket cover folds down to provide a handy work surface
- Waterproof pocket: Clear internal pocket to keep your maps and licenses visible, and cell phone dry
- Fits four trays: Lower tray compartment for storage of up to four #3600 style tray
7 – Piscifun Fishing Tackle Backpack with 4 Trays
Piscifun NEW Giant Tackle Bag is made from superior high quality water-resistant 1200D high density nylon fabrics. The precise 86 sewing procedures offer 20% higher water resistance and toughness.
- Click for 5% OFF Coupon
- Large Capacity
- Protective Rain Cover
- Retractable Bottle Pocket
- Hard Molded Sunglasses Case
- Indestructible KAM Buckle
- Double SBS Zippers
- Movable Clapboard in The Main Bag
- Rubber feet Protect the Bag from Water
8 – Wild River by CLC 503 Tackle Tek Recon
“Great Backpack, Lots of Features”
The Wild River Recon is a single solution soft backpack tackle bag. It has an integrated LED light system that allows you to see into the bag or your work area when natural light gets scarce. It also features a large upper storage area with a removable divider, which can convert this bag in to a full size backpack for holding larger items. This tackle bag is a fisherman’s dream with the Mossy Oak exterior. It features a removable plier holder that easily goes from bag to belt. It has external and internal mesh pockets to easily view contents. It also has base pads to reduce wear and help keep the bag clean and dry when the fishing becomes wet. The integrated LED light system allows for fishing from dusk until dawn.
9 – Spiderwire Black Sling Tackle Pack Backpack
- Rugged Exterior Material
- Includes 1 Medium Utility Tackle Box
- Shoulder Strap Adjust to Wear on Left or Right Side
- Padded Sunglass Pocket with Interior Fleece Lining
- Multiple Exterior Pockets with Zipper Closures
10 – BLISSWILL Outdoor Water Resistant Fishing Tackle Bag
- Dimensions: 11.8″ x 8.6″ x 4.3″. This outdoor bag is multi functional, and send with three adjustable, detachable strap, can be used as backpack, shoulder bag and handbag.
- Front of the unique triangle strap design,lengthened and widened shoulder pads designed to relieve shoulder fatigue effectively, more comfortable and convenient.
- Made of high quality 1000D Water-Resistant Nylon Fabrics. With extra firm stitched; Left/Right exchangeable and adjustable shoulder strap; Full-length double zipper.
- This tackle bag has multiple storage compartments and exterior pockets. Storage the lures, pliers, pole, fishing boxes, wallet,keys and other accessories all organized and secure.
- Non-toxic and environmental friendly, good durability. Moderate in size. With me, you can move forward with ease.
11 – Piscifun Waterproof Outdoor Fishing Tackle Bag Single Shoulder
“Nice compact bag for fishing.”
Waterproof and Durable: Water-resistant 1000D high density nylon fabrics, made with high-end equipment to ensure its safety. The abrasion resistant and indestructible KAM buckle and SBS zippers.
- Adjustable & Detachable Strap: Two left/right exchangeable, adjustable and detachable shoulder straps.
- Two rod belts to hold your rods.
- Multi functional Tackle Bag: Dimension of main compartment: 12″ x 8.7 ” x 4.3″.
- Unique Innovative Design: Ergonomic overall design (widened shoulder strap and rear breathable mesh design) makes the user feel very comfortable.
- Multiple Storage Compartments and Exterior Pockets.
12 – Piscifun Sports Shoulder Bag
“Great alternative to the traditional vest”
Ergonomic and Weather-resistant for any outdoor sports. Super convenient sized main bag for all kinds of outdoor sports such as fishing, hiking, camping, cycling and mountaineering. Smaller front bag offers greater convenience for tablets / cell phones. The large main pocket is 8.27″ x 8.27″ x 2.95″. It includes a slim zippered mesh pocket and two Velcro closed pockets. All sides of the main pocket are padded for protection.
- 1000D Waterproof Nylon Material with adjustable padded ergonomic single strap for extra comfort.
- Size: Approx. 13.39″ (L) x 14.57″ (H) x 4.72″ (W) main bag dimensions: Approx. 8.27″ (L) x 8.27″ (H) x 2.95″ (W) front pocket dimension: Approx. 6.69″ (L) x 5.90″ (H) x 1.18″ (W). Weight: Approx. 0.8 lb / 360 g. Ultra light.
- Two adjustable buckles, the ideal tackle management size, and easier to carry than tackle box.
Buying Guide: How to choose a fishing backpack?
The choice of the right fishing bag can bring a huge difference in your fishing experience. For the committed angler, the right backpack will not only be a tool carrier but will also facilitate proper body adjustment to keep you fresh and comfortable for your adventure, specially when walking long distances or riding a bike. While there are tons of options available, not all backpacks are created equal and you’ll need to make sure to pick the one that pack offers the function and quality that a genuine fishing expedition require.
Understanding the qualities that a quality fishing backpack should possess will not only help you in making the right decision, but also enable you to enhance your fishing experience.
Backpack vs Vest vs Tackle Box?
The tackle box is the most used out of the three, so why not just stick with a tackle box?
- Great amount of storage space for carrying everything you need such as: food, fishing rods, extra dry clothes and all of your fishing gear.
- Comfortable to carry on long fishing days or when on a plane on your way to vacation.
- Some have compartments for cold storage, great for bait or food
- Stores utility boxes. Serves much like a tackle box, except, much easier to carry, and you get to keep your hands free
- Perfect for walking on when riding a bike
- When wearing the back pack, items are not easily accessible, due to the pockets being out of reach.
- Bag needs to be put down to search for needed gear. Can’t usually get what you need when in the water.
- Unnecessarily bulky depending on size when going a short distance from the car to the water for example.
- Even distribution of weight on both shoulders.
- Many pockets to easily put everything in a designated spot and avoid the frantic search for that special lure in the time of need.
- Everything is easily accessible without the need to remove the vest, like a back pack.
- Does not limit your range of motion.
- Feels fine over light layers like a simple fishing shirt as well as thick layers.
- Limited storage for bigger items.
- Can feel bulky when layered over winter clothing.
- Great for keeping you least used items, or heavier items.
- Plenty of spots to keep your gear
- Limited storage
- When carried, at least one of your hands is not free
- Not as easy to get something out of, like a back pack or a fishing vest
- Doesn’t offer special pockets / holders like backpacks and fishing vests
Qualities to Consider
There are some conclusive qualities that you must pay attention to when searching to buy the very best fishing bag you can, ensuring you are investing in the best product possible.
Comfort and the right size :
The two most important things to consider are the size and comfort. Every angler faces the issue of not having enough space every now and then, and having to leave something behind is really bad, specially if you end up not catching a fish. Although, fishing backpacks come in a few different sizes, with different offerings, the biggest won’t necessarily be the best. Making sure to choose something that will give you all the space necessary is a must, but do not compromise on comfort. When looking fir something to buy, make sure to read reviews, to find out which backpacks are the most comfortable. After all, the backpack you choose will be packed with things, and feel much different once you’re out of the store.
A comfortable option will make the weight feel light on the shoulders, due to the proper organization and adjustment of pockets to balance weight. Look for a bag that properly places the compartments to balance the weight of the supplies. Remember the best backpack is the one that is lighter and easier to carry. Look for sturdy, adjustable straps to help keep you comfortable.
Size is important but the number of individual compartments and pockets is crucial. The biggest advantage of a fishing Backpack is its compartments that keep everything neat and organized and within easy reach without the fuss of entanglement. A great gear is one which has a designated compartment for every tool. Consider the number of compartments you need to carry each set of your items separately. A bag with space for spare items would be the best option to accommodate a few of your personal items. Most bags offer sunglass holders, compartments for your phone, wallet, rod holders and more.
Quality of Fabric and Stitching:
Careful evaluation of material lets you know the durability of the product and how it would fare in future. High-quality fabric resists fraying and tearing being cost-effective for a longer time. Stitching is very important on a Backpack that is going to be packed with a number of different gears. Double or preferably triple stitching is what you should consider when purchasing one.
A zipper that is Smooth:
A major concern with cheap backpacks is that zippers often jam, break or tear away. Therefore, assessment of zipper quality is essential as poor quality zippers are the first to go on a bag leaving it useless. Molded and poly zippers are good options to avoid the damage of corrosion.
What? Yes, some backpacks even offer lights. Late on the afternoon, bad weather and without a flashlight you can still “easily” search for your intended piece of a tool in your backpack and the innermost compartments. Lights are a good feature to look for as they are not only useful to search out for your tools and gears but can also come handy in case you need the extra set of lights. However, you can also use your phone or buy a cheap led flashlight.
Water & Mud Resistance:
Another feature to look for in an fishing backpack is water resistance. The weather changes, rain may start and its very important to be well prepared. With the best waterproof fishing backpack, you won’t have to worry about your gear getting wet or in the occasion of the backpack falling in the water, hopefully without its owner! Some packs even have rain covers, all of of this is great, specially for your electronics, or change of dry clothes for example. Mud resistance is also something to look for as it makes cleaning your bag much easier.
Choice of Rechargeable Batteries:
If you want to take your technology with you wherever you go, fishing should not keep you off the grid. Some Backpacks come with rechargeable batteries to help you keep your gadgets charged all the time. You can also buy rechargeable battery packs separately of course.